LG has lifted the lid on their latest creation, the LG G4 Beat. The smaller sibling of the G4, obviously.
The Beat is supposed to be a cheaper alternative to the G4, rather than simply just smaller like the Z3 and Z3 Compacts of the world, as is evident in the 5.2-inch screen. Where the Beat makes it’s cuts is in everything else.
Sporting a Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 615 Processor, it still packs a punch and can deal with a lot tasks you throw at it. The slightly less powerful processor also allows LG to pack in a slightly smaller, but still removable, battery without impacting the amount of usage you’ll get between charges.
LG have opted to put an 8MP sensor in the back of the Beat and a 5MP one in the front. The rear camera takes advantage of the laser guided wizardry the big G4 has, so producing perfectly focused images is still going to be easy while being well-balanced with their exclusive Colour Spectrum Sensor. Dan reviewed the LG G4 last month and had high praise for the camera. It looks like the situation may be the same here.
The specification sheet for the Beat lists the storage as being 8GB, with no mention of other capacities or an SD card slot…that seems like an oversight. Taking these glorious high resolution, colour rich photos you may need to be making use of cloud storage through the likes of Google Photos…
Aside from the hardware, the phone weighs in at 139g and is only fractions smaller than the G4. There is also no mention of the fancy leather back found on the G4, but then this is aimed at a lower price point.
Actual price and availability isn’t set in stone yet but expect to see it hitting the shops soon. If you want a G4 but can’t find the cash, this looks like it will be a very viable alternative.
SEOUL, July 9, 2015 — LG Electronics (LG) officially unveiled its newest variant of its widely praised LG G4 flagship smartphone. The LG G4 Beat1 retains the best features and functions of the LG G4, delivering value without compromising performance or usability. The LG G4 Beat will make its debut this month in key markets in Europe and Latin America, including France, Germany and Brazil before rolling out globally in markets such as Canada, India, Russia, Singapore, South Africa and Turkey, among others.
The LG G4 Beat comes with a 5.2-inch Full HD IPS Display, which is clearer, sharper and more responsive than anything offered by LG before in this category. A powerful Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 615 processor running eight cores at 1.5GHz with integrated 4G LTE delivers an optimal balance of power, performance and battery life.
LG G4 Beat’s camera features are equally as impressive as the hardware. On the back is a 8MP camera 2, supported by LG’s exclusive Color Spectrum Sensor and Laser Auto Focus. Manual Mode, one of the most acclaimed features in the G4, allows full creative control over every detail in each shot. LG also enhanced the 5MP front-facing shooter with Gesture Interval Shot to allow users to take four consecutive selfies with a single hand gesture, increasing the odds of capturing that perfect shot.
“Too often, mid-tier phones sacrifice overall usability in order to include that one killer feature,” said Juno Cho, president and CEO of LG Electronics Mobile Communications Company. “Our goal with the LG G4 Beat was to create a phone that was not only well- balanced in terms of display, camera, performance and design but delivered terrific value and satisfaction.”
Highlights and Features of the LG G4 Beat are:
- High Performance Multimedia made possible by a powerful Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 615 Processor with Octa-Core performance and speed, which can handle Full HD 1080p playback at 60fps and capture at 30fps.
- Color Spectrum Sensor to measure the exact RGB and infrared values of ambient light and objects, resulting in colors that are truer to nature.
- Manual Mode to give users fine control over every detail of a shot, including shutter speed, ISO, exposure and white balance.
- Gesture Interval Shot improves on the original Gesture Shot by increasing the chance of getting that perfect shot even under challenging
Prices and details of availability will be announced locally at the time of launch.
Key Specifications 3:
- Chipset: Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 615 Processor
- Display: 5.2-inch Full HD IPS LCD (1920 x 1080, 423ppi)
- Memory: 8GB eMMC ROM / 1.5GB RAM
- Camera: Rear 8MP LDAF (13MP in Latin America) / Front 5MP
- Battery: 2,300mAh (removable)
- Operating System: Android 5.1.1 Lollipop
- Size: 142.7 x 72.6 x 9.85mm
- Weight: 139g
- Network: 4G LTE / HSPA+ 42.2Mbps (3G)
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi 802.11 b, g, n / Bluetooth 4.1 / NFC / A-GPS / Glonass / USB 2.0
- Colors: Metallic Silver / Ceramic White / Shiny Gold
- Other: In-Cell Touch / Color Spectrum Sensor / Gesture Interval Shot / Full HD 1080p Video
1 LG G4s in Europe and CIS Region.
2 13MP in some Latin American countries.
3 Specifications may vary depending on the market.