Getting streaming TV on your phone or tablet is great. You get to watch TV anywhere. However, if you’re out of the house and you don’t have a clever DVR or set-top box that’ll squirt the TV picture from your aerial to your device over your WiFi, you’re going to be using data.
Oh my days. Data is a precious commodity nowadays. Once we all had oodles of data but now there’s a bit of a premium on high data usage. Plus, if you’re going to be watching high quality streaming TV you’re at the mercy of the network coverage, throttling, congestion and b..uffeeerrriinngg…
An alternative is this thing, which picks up the digital TV signals that are washing around this great nation of ours. Then it gets squirted into a WiFi hotspot for you to join onto with your smartphone or tablet and watch the resulting video. It’s a battery-powered tuner with an aerial that lets you watch outside of your home via the on-device WiFi hotspot, but there’s also a “home network setting” so it can become part of your home WiFi. This means you can still browse the internet whilst watching TV.
There’s two models – the mains tuner (£64.99) which turns your tablet into an additional screen and a portable version (£69.99) which you can slot into your pocket. Get it on the TabletTV website or the mighty Amazon and then you and your friends can laugh hysterically at your tablet screen just like absolutely nobody ever does…
It’s not just a tuner though. It’ll also let you record TV shows and then play them back anytime. Great for long journeys or if you’re going abroad and you want to take a bit of TV from home. No buffering, no internet needed. Boom.
TabletTV for Android Devices Launched in UK
TTV on Android and Apple in time for Wimbledon
Motive Television PLC (AIM: MTV), announces that the TabletTV UK app for Android devices are available for download on the Google Playstore. Users of the most popular Samsung Android tablets will be able to join those with iPads in being able to watch and record over-the-air television (Freeview in the UK) on their tablets in time for the Wimbledon tennis tournament.
Available from just £64.99, TabletTV is a simple device which lets you watch Freeview TV channels via your tablet anytime, anyplace and for free. There is no reliance on 3G, 4G or WI-FI, all you need is a TV signal, tablet and the free TabletTV app (available to download from the App Store and Google Playstore). You can even record live TV and watch it at a time that suit.
• Watch live television absolutely free on your tablet in most European countries* without any cables, satellite or internet
• One-touch-recording so you can record and catch up on your favourite shows whenever you like
• A home network feature allowing you to easily flick between the TV and internet, so you can join in conversations on social media without interrupting your viewing
• Comes in two tuner models: the mains tuner (£64.99) enabling your tablet to act as an extra screen and a portable tuner (£69.99), which easily slips into a coat pocket or bag while you are out and about
• Available to buy via the TabletTV website www.tablettv.co.uk or Amazon.co.uk – no subscription required