We’ve just added our review of the Huawei Y 100 a bargain-basement handset. Now, Vodafone have one too, and they’re selling it for just 70. It’s obviously the follow-up to their Smart and runs Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) and has a 3.2″ HVGA screen. All the usual GPS, WiFi and sensor fun is available and there’s a 2GB microSD card to bump up the 512MB RAM.
Powered by an 832MHz CPU it also has a 3.2 megapixel camera with flash. You can also make the phone “your own” with custom rear covers.
Full press release below. It will be available this summer and will be priced under €99, launching first in the UK priced at £70.
Update – The Smart II is actually made by Alcatel and it seems that the company have made this phone exclusively for Vodafone. The V860 is just one of their handsets and Alcatel have quite a range. You can have a looksie through some of their other handsets from our MWC story.
Link – Vodafone
VODAFONE LAUNCHES BREAKTHROUGH MASS-MARKET SMARTPHONE
Smart II a step-change in delivering the mobile internet to value-focused consumers worldwide
31 May, 2012. Vodafone today announced the launch of the Smart II, a breakthrough smartphone for the mass market, which offers an unprecedented combination of high performance and low cost in a package attractive to the large majority of consumers currently missing out on the smartphone revolution.
The Vodafone Smart II has twice the processing power of the most expensive and sought-after smartphones available just three years ago, but at a fraction of the price. It offers new smartphone users a high-end mobile internet experience and an uncompromised level of functionality, including:
· a highly responsive HVGA capacitive touchscreen with 64 million colours;
· brand new Broadcom 21552 with 832MHz processor and 512MB of RAM – the computing power of high-end smartphones 3 years ago;
· high-speed 3G HSDPA and Wi-Fi connectivity;
· 3.2 megapixel camera with white LED flash; and
· the latest Assisted GPS (AGPS) technology for rapid and accurate mapping and navigation functions.
The Smart II is also highly customisable, with interchangeable back plates and rims in 16 colour variations.*
Vodafone has designed the Smart II to introduce non-smartphone consumers to a new world of content and services that will save them time, money and help them manage their daily lives, including:
· high-speed mobile internet browsing, including voice-activated Google Search™;
· access to the latest news, entertainment and transport apps for information on the move;
· emails, contacts and calendars;
· social networking services such as Facebook™ and Twitter™;
· money-saving services such as the Vouchercloud, a location-based shopping discount voucher app; and
· dedicated Vodafone apps which make it simple for customers to track their spending and download the best new apps and music.
Patrick Chomet, Group Terminals Director said: “The Smart II is one of the most important devices we have ever introduced. It delivers a level of performance, functionality and quality that is traditionally the preserve of high-end smartphones but at an exceptionally affordable price. We believe the Smart II could represent a tipping point in the evolution of the market, bringing a new wave of consumers to the supermobile world for the first time.”
The Smart II will be available across Vodafone markets and partner markets this summer and will be priced under €99, launching first in the UK priced at £70.