After weeks of leaks, rumours and speculation over the likelihood of an April Fool joke, Samsung have come out and announced the Galaxy Mega range.
There are two devices in the range, the lower spec Mega 5.8 and the slightly higher spec Mega 6.3. Only the 6.3 is coming to the UK.
The Mega range are obviously targeted at the user who wants a huge great phone/tablet thing and doesn’t want to spend over £500 on it. But in light of the Galaxy Note III I can only see people getting confused with these potentially almost identical looking devices.
Spec wise the Mega 6.3 is nothing astounding but it’s better than the Mega 5.8.
Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3 Product Specifications
- Network – LTE100/50Mbps, HSPA+21/5.76
- Display – 6.3-inch (159.7mm) HD TFT
- Processor – 1.7GHz Dual Core AP
- OS – Android 4.2 (Jelly Bean)
- Camera – Main (Rear): 8 megapixel rear-facing camera
- Front Camera – 1.9 megapixel front-facing camera
- Camera Features – Beauty Face, Best Photo, Best Face, Drama, Rich Tone (High Dynamic Range), Sound & Shot, Sports, , Continuous shot
- Video – 3GP, MP4, AVI, WMV, FLV, MKV
- Audio – MP3, M4A, MP4, 3GP, 3GA, WMA, OGG, OGA, AAC, FLAC
- Connectivity – Wi-Fi a/b/g/n/ac, WiFi Direct
- BT 4.0(BLE), USB 2.0 H/S
- GPS+GLONASS, NFC, MHL
- Sensor – Accelerometer, RGB light, Geomagnetic, Proximity, Gyroscope
- Memory – 8/16GB Internal Memory (microSD up to 64GB) + 1.5GB RAM
- Dimension – 167.6 x 88 x 8.0 mm , 199g
- Battery – Standard battery, Li-ion 3,200 mAh
So all in all nothing special, I guess the price will be the deciding factor. If this thing comes out at around £250 they will have a great success on their hands, although no doubt it’ll be over £400 and they’ll sell the Note III at a £600+ premium. Who knows, I sure don’t.
10 April 2013, London, UK: Samsung Electronics today announced the Galaxy Mega, a device that combines the portability and convenience of a smartphone with the power, multitasking capabilities and extensive viewing experience of a tablet.
The Galaxy Mega offers an optimal viewing experience on a 6.3-inch HD screen, yet is ultra-thin and portable enough to put into your pocket or hold in one hand. The Galaxy Mega offers a mix of popular smartphone and tablet features such as an effortless user experience, a split screen, multitasking between video and other apps and more.
Best of Both Worlds
The Galaxy Mega has a HD LCD screen with landscape mode support, providing a widescreen view for applications including web browsing, video, and SNS. New features include:
• ‘Group Play’: Enables easy content sharing for up to eight devices on the same Wi-Fi network.
• ‘Samsung WatchON’: Becomes an IR remote controller for a richer TV experience. Connect the device to your home entertainment system, and it will provide programme recommendations, schedules, and even remotely control your TV.
• ‘Samsung Link’: Easily streams photos, videos, notes, or music to your television, tablet or computer.
• ‘ChatON’: Share what’s on your screen with friends to stay more connected.
Productivity and Multimedia for the Multi-Tasker
The Galaxy Mega includes a split screen capability for a variety of applications, including email, messages, ‘MyFiles,’ ‘S Memo,’ ‘S Planner’, so you can be more efficient with your time. With the popular ‘Air View’ feature, you can preview information in emails, photos in the gallery, as well as speed dial contacts.
The Galaxy Mega comes with an enhanced 8 megapixel rear-facing camera with a 1.9 megapixel front-facing camera, along with a variety of camera modes including ‘Drama Shot’ (so you can merge continuous shots of a moving object) and ‘Sound & Shot’ (allows you to capture nine seconds of sound and voice together as the picture is taken to capture moments). It also includes a number of newly-introduced features, including:
• ‘S Travel’: Provides trip information, local guides and resources.
• ‘Story Album’: Allows you to create albums of daily events, keep special moments in one place using a timeline, geo-tag information and publish digital albums in hard copy.
The Galaxy Mega runs on the latest Android 4.2 Jelly Bean experience, and features a Dual Core Processor, up to 64GB of expandable memory to store your favourite apps, music, videos and photos. The advanced software also means more efficient processor use for improved battery life, meaning you can enjoy longer talk time and multimedia use.
The Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3 will be available from mid-May in the UK from the Samsung Experience Store at Westfield Stratford City and all other major operators. The Galaxy Mega 5.8 will not be ranging in the UK.