You’ve probably heard about the fairly major bug with the Orange SPV E650 over at MoDaCo, but there’s still a large amount of people stating that they’ve never had any problems. Why? Well, to be honest it’s best if we explain it in pictures.
Whilst doing the Orange SPV E650 review we came across the bug too. It happens when you’re installing software, however it only happens in the Orange SPV E650 model and not in the SIM-free HTC S710 we borrowed from the guys at devicewire.com. Click on for a pictoral demonstration of the bug, and how to avoid it. Don’t forget that you can use the MoDaCo fix to sort it more permanently. They’ve got both a de-Brand + Fixer or a simple fixer without the de-Brand.
Hello! :) Here I am adding a contact. The input method is currenly set to XT9 English, which is the default. Let’s go ahead and install something. In this case, it’s the excellent SplashBlog.
OK, it’s looking good so far. After a few seconds everything is done and it’s installed correctly.,,
Now, to illustrate the problem I’ve gone ahead and un-installed SplashBlog. I’ll also go back and change the entry method to “ABC”. A lot of people prefer the “ABC” input method, especially with the slide-out QWERTY keyboard, so it’s not surprising to see it enabled by end users.
Let’s do the install again…
Errrmm…. After about 2 minutes the wheel is still spinning and nothing seems to be happening… Oh dear – the bug has reared its’ ugly head. The only way out is to pull the battery, which is a bit pants to say the least. :(
To double-check I wasn’t going mad, I tried the same test on the SIM-free version from devicewire.com that we reviewed earlier. I went straight ahead and switched to “ABC” mode..
Now I’m doing an install (albeit a slightly different program) and….
Wehay! It works, but it’s highly annoying that this bug is present on the E650. I should point out also that this bug is the same whether you install over ActiveSync or locally. Not good. :(