ABC News is reporting on a woman in Wisconsin who’s been the victim of another exploding device. This time it’s a fitness tracker, and happened whilst the wearer – Dina Mitchell – was sitting reading a book. The Fitbit Flex 2 caught fire and explode, causing burns to her arm. She told reporters that..
I was literally just sitting and reading when my Fitbit exploded. It was either defective or really mad I was sitting still so long… I don’t know. Either way, It burned the heck out of my arm.
Love that. Yes, perhaps it was angry that she wasn’t doing any exercise!? I doubt that’d be a big selling point though – keep moving or I’ll go bang! :) Like Speed with Sandra Bullock, but on a budget ? :)
Dina quickly pulled the device off and threw it onto the floor where it continued to smoulder. She had pieces of plastic and rubber removed from the second degree burn to her arm shortly after.
Fitbit have responded to the incident, stating that they are “extremely concerned” and are looking into the issue. Currently they see “no reason” for people to stop wearing the Flex 2.
This is yet another reminder of the possible dangers of those “little explosive devices” we all carry around with and some sleep with.