Sony have decided however that there is a market for such a device and as such are due to announce the Xperia Tipo, a low end dual sim Android 4.0 ICS smartphone.
Sony have included a scratch-resistant mineral glass display and a whacking 1500mAh battery for more than a days usage. There’s also a “data management solution” so you can keep track of your data usage.
Measuring in at 103 x 57 x 13 mm and weighing 99.4 grams this diminutive smartphone has 512 MB of RAM and 2.9 GB (up to 2.5 GB user-accessible) flash memory expandable via a MicroSD memory card.
Powered by a Qualcomm Snapdragon CPU clocked at 800 MHz, the Tipo has WiFi b/g/n at 2.4 GHz, Bluetooth 2.1+EDR and aGPS, a 3.2 megapixel camera and a 3.2″ HVGA 320 x 480 pixel TFT touchscreen. The Xperia Tipo will be available in two colours, Silver and Black.
With the specs being as low as they are the handset could only be described as entry level which conflicts a little with the dual sim selling point.
Sony have also prepared a sparkly little video which is included below for your perusal. Full press release below..
Hi-res pictures below..
Sony Mobile unveils Xperia miro and Xperia tipo – stylish, fun and easy to use smartphones
· Xperia miro provides deep Facebook integration and Sony’s xLOUD audio technology in a slim and stylish design
· Xperia tipo comes in both single and dual SIM version for consumers looking for value and functionality
· Both smartphones launch on latest Android™ platform – Ice Cream Sandwich
13 June, London, United Kingdom – Sony Mobile Communications (“Sony Mobile”) today announced two new Xperia™ smartphones, Xperia miro and Xperia tipo. Xperia miro is a slim and stylish smartphone available in a fun range of colours with deep integration of Facebook™ throughout contacts, photo gallery and the music player, plus Sony’s xLOUD™ audio technology for crisp and loud sound. Xperia tipo is designed to be easy to use enabling consumers to get the most from their smartphones – whether browsing the web, sharing pictures or downloading apps. Xperia tipo will also be available in a dual SIM version – Xperia tipodual – so that consumers can switch between tariffs with just one touch to stay on the most cost effective plan. Both smartphones will launch globally in calendar Q3 2012.
“Xperia miro and Xperia tipo are for consumers looking for entertainment experiences and functionality traditionally associated with high-end Android smartphones”, said Calum MacDougall, Director Xperia Marketing at Sony Mobile Communications.” “Xperia miro is for those who want an integrated social media and a great music experience while Xperia tipo is for consumers who want to realise the benefits of a smartphone for the first time as they migrate from a feature phone.”
Xperia miro – the fun social smartphone from Sony
Xperia miro is a slim, stylish smartphone with Facebook social experiences integrated throughout. Users are alerted to new incoming messages and social updates with colourful illuminations, and can easily video chat with friends using the front facing camera. To provide great music entertainment it integrates Sony’s xLOUD audio technology, giving crisp and loud sound. Xperia miro comes pre-installed with Music Unlimited* from Sony Entertainment Network, providing instant access to millions** of music tracks on the move.
Key features for Xperia miro
· 3.5” display for great browsing and entertainment experiences
· Launching on Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich)
· 5MP camera and brilliant quality video recording at 30fps
· Sony’s xLOUD audio technology gives crisp and loud sound
· Deep Facebook integration with contacts, gallery and the music player for sharing and discovery
· Customisable illuminations for incoming messages and social updates
· Front-facing camera for video chat between smartphones, tablets and PCs
· Contactless DLNA connectivity to easily view content like photos and videos on a TV, tablet and PC
· Powerful battery with >24hrs usage time
· Available in black, black/pink, white and white/gold colours
Xperia tipo – the affordable and easy to use smartphone
Xperia tipo offers a simple and easy to use smartphone experience targeting consumers who may be purchasing their first smartphone. With a dedicated set-up guide, a built-in application enabling users to monitor their data usage, excellent battery life and the latest Android platform – Ice Cream Sandwich – consumers can make the most of their smartphone experience.
Key features for Xperia tipo
· 3.2” scratch-resistant mineral glass display
· Launching on Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich)
· 3.2MP camera
· Dedicated set-up guide
· Data management solution to identify data usage
· Bluetooth and Wi-Fi™ for easy content sharing and web access
· Powerful battery, 1500 maH, with >24hrs usage time
· Available in red, white, blue and black
– ENDS –
*Sony Entertainment Network services are subject to availability by region, please see www.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com for more details.
**The number of available songs varies by region.