As you may know by now, Orange officially started the sales of the SPV C500 handset yesterday (see “read more” for full press release), and you can either get details from this Orange Shop page or from our friends at FoneTastic.
So what else do you need? Well, a review would be nice wouldn’t it ? Well, here it is. Yes, after a week of typing, playing, picture-taking and drinking (although the drinking wasn’t strictly part of the review, it helped a great deal), the official CoolSmartPhone.com review is here!
Oh! We also have the official Orange SPV C500 manual ready for download. I must say it’s quite good! It goes into details about how to install CAB files, how to copy across WAV files as ringtones and much more! Nice one Orange! 🙂
UPDATE – I’ve now included some excellent shots of the black SPV C500 thanks to Adam White. Many thanks mate!
“…it redefines the whole smartphone concept” (What Cellphone, August 2004)
WORLD’S SMALLEST SMARTPHONE GOES ON SALE SETTING INDUSTRY BENCHMARK FOR VALUE
Addition of SPV C500 to Orange Device Portfolio Creates Widest Mobile Email Offering Available in the UK Market to Consumers and Business Customers
London. 18th August 2004. Orange today announced the commercial availability of the SPV C500 – the world’s smallest smartphone. Orange has driven down the cost of manufacturing, as well as the cost of components within the phone, in order to provide its customers with a stylish, functional device that offers best value for money.
The SPV C500 will be available in the UK for under £79.99 from Orange Retail stores, signalling Orange’s continued commitment to its Signature phone portfolio, its series of devices designed to make it easy for customers to access advanced services, such as Photo messaging, email and internet access. On Your Plan 120, the phone is available for free and is expected to be one of the hottest-buys from Orange this autumn.
The SPV C500 features Microsoft’s® Windows Mobile 2003 software for smartphones, which provides an experience on mobile phones that is as familiar and intuitive as Windows on a PC. Orange customers can surf the internet in full colour, watch and listen to music and video clips, download 3D games and synchronise with Microsoft Outlook on their PC, allowing them to keep up to date with their contacts, calendar and emails. The phone also comes with an Orange Try Card – a memory card containing innovative applications for use at home or in the office (see appendix for more information).
As well as having massive consumer appeal, the SPV C500 is one of Orange’s key email access devices for businesses. Orange’s email offering, which gives customers a variety of different ways to access emails while on the move, is supported by a dedicated technical support team and the UK’s best network coverage for data connectivity.
The SPV C500 has already received praise from industry insiders.
Presenting it with an “Award of Excellence”, What Cellphone magazine said: “Orange’s latest SPV is not just smaller and lighter than any Windows handset we’ve seen – it redefines the whole smartphone concept.”
What Mobile magazine said: “With the new look and feel of the SPV C500, the competition should be getting very worried.”
As well as standard voice and messaging services, the SPV C500 includes Microsoft® Pocket Outlook®, Pocket Internet Explorer, Windows Media® Player, a high-quality digital still and video camera and 64MB of RAM, allowing several applications to run at once. An integrated light sensor that controls backlight usage and enhanced battery life enables customers to use their phone for up to four days without charging (see appendix for full technical specifications).
John Allwood, CEO of Orange UK, said: “As with all Orange Signature phones, the SPV C500 gives our customers a unique Orange experience on their phone, providing them with a range of exclusive applications and services. The SPV C500 is most likely to appeal to executives, professionals and business owners looking for a high spec phone and PDA which works like their PC but is small enough for them to work and play when they’re out and about.”
He added: “This is the first device in our Signature phone range in which we have aggressively cut the costs during the manufacturing process to ensure that we can pass on the financial benefit to our customers, marking a significant moment in the marketing of highly functional, advanced phones.”
– ends –
For more information please call the Orange Media Centre on
+44 207 984 2000.
The SPV C500 – from Orange
the world’s smallest Smartphone…
Affordable price-point – between FREE and £79.99 (depending on contract)
Orange Signature Phone Applications
· New Orange homescreen (vertical icons)
· Orange World
· Orange Backup
· Orange Update
· Orange Help (an electronic user guide on the device)
· Windows Mobile 2003 2nd Edition software (desktop PC familiarity)
· Pocket Outlook (Email, Calendar and Contacts)
· Pocket Internet Explorer (HTML and WAP)
· Integrated one click camera
· Packet Video player (allowing progressive download)
· Windows Media Player
· Email (pop3 / IMAP 4, Microsoft Exchange 2003)
· Instant Messaging (MSN Messenger)
· Java games (MIDP 2.0) and 3D games for Windows Mobile software
· Polyphonic ringtones
· MP3, WMA, WAV, AMR
· Integrated handsfree speaker
Useful Connectivity Options
· External mini-SD slot (Orange Try card included)
· Dimensions: (108 x 46 x 16mm)
· Volume: 80 cc
· Weight: 100g
· Tri-band: 900+1800+1900
· Memory: 64mb internal, mini SD external
· Screen colours: 65k TFT display (220×176 pixels)
· Screen size: 45.8 x 36.6mm
· Standby time: Up to 4 days
· Talk Time: Up to 8 hours
· WAP browser v 2.0
· HTML v 4.0
· WML, xHTML, Wap push, Wap OTA provisioning
What’s in the box?
· Mains charger
· CD (including Microsoft ® Outlook 2002 and Microsoft® ActiveSync® software)
· Orange Try (mini-SD) card
· Sync cable (USB – mini-USB adaptor)
· Orange user guide
Extra accessories available
· Professional car kit
· Standard car kit
· Cigarette charger
· Carry Case
· Mini-SD Cards
What’s new and improved…
· More versatile bluetooth functionality
· Longer battery life
· Even better voice call quality
Orange Try card
· Allows customers to trial exciting and useful new applications for free Organise
· ClearVue Office allows users to view Microsoft® Word, Excel and PowerPoint® files. By combining ClearVue & Westtek’s JETCET Print customers can even print their files via BlueTooth technology. Free for 15 days. (approx £26 to buy full application)
· Fizz Traveller. The Ultimate travel pack, complete with currency conversion, updated weather forecasts, international time clocks and more (15 day free trial, Full application priced at approx £9)
· Berlitz Phrasebook. Sample the free-to-try phrases and then upgrade to the full phrasebooks containing essential phrases to help you, the traveller, be understood. (approximately £2.50 per phrasebook, charged to phone bill)
· Smart2go. Locate travel essentials in the city of your choice on an interactive map, including restaurants, hospitals and tourist sites. Get step-by-step directions to make the most of your stay. Olympic city of Athens offered as a demo. (Unlimited UK city downloads for £16.99 for 12 months).
· Time Out City Guide. Complete with the best places to eat, drink and shop, plus get expert tips on getting around in Athens. Download additional cities via Java from the Try card or your local portal. (Prices approx £2.50 per city, charged to phone bill)
· Jeffrey. Cool animations to show friends