YouTube for Windows Phone has been awful for years. It was basically just a shortcut to the mobile website. For ages people have been waiting for Microsoft to update the app, it’s one of those things that are awkward to deal with as Google own YouTube and Google don’t exactly love Windows Phone.
Today is the day that many have been waiting for. If you head over to the store here you can update YouTube to the shiny new app.
The new app has the following new features.
- Pin videos, playlists, channels, and even search queries to Start as Live Tiles for fast access. The tile flips to show either the latest video from your subscriptions or the most popular one.
- A new and innovative playlist design gives you easy access to videos using a touch-friendly filmstrip.
- Just want to listen to a video? It now plays in the background even when the screen is locked.
- You can share videos to popular social networks, and via email and text.
- And there’s no need to worry about the little ones viewing content you don’t approve of, since you can now pin YouTube to Kid’s Corner and limit content based on YouTube Safety Mode settings you configure. An update for Windows Phone 7.5 is also on the way in a few weeks.
So rejoice Windows Phone users and go and update your app now. UK readers will be able to get this update as of Wednesday morning on this link here
Source – Windows Phone Blog