WebEx Brings Secure Remote PC Access to Mobile Phones
With PCNow 3.0
Partnership with SoonR Expands On-Demand Remote PC Access to Include
LONDON, U.K., March 6, 2007-Starting today, all you need is a mobile phone to have full access to your PC’s email and documents.
WebEx (Nasdaq: WEBX), the leading provider of on-demand applications for collaborative business on the web, today launched WebEx PCNow 3.0, the first remote access solution to support both PC-to-PC and phone-to-PC access. Through an exclusive partnership with mobile technology provider SoonR, PCNow 3.0 enables the more than one billion wireless handset users to access the documents, emails, calendars and even VoIP applications on their home and work PCs.
“The days of lugging laptops through the airport are over. All your PC documents and email are now as close as your mobile phone,” said Jack Chawla, senior director of product management, WebEx.
Designed to deliver the same experience as working on one’s own computer, WebEx PCNow provides an easy-to-use, secure connection from any computer via a browser and internet connection. With SoonR, the same simplified remote access is available for any data-enabled phone without additional downloads or expensive devices. The combined product extends real-time access to desktop for search, Outlook contacts, calendar, email and multiple types of documents. Content is optimized for viewing on a web enabled mobile handset, and works across wireless carriers. In addition, PCNow 3.0 offers low cost calling anywhere in the world from a mobile phone leveraging the power of SkypeOut.
Chawla added, “The way we work has changed. Speed and flexibility have replaced size and scale as the keys to durable competitive advantage. By supporting both phone-to-PC and PC-to-PC access, we’re helping knowledge workers be productive anytime, anywhere and from any device.”
“The combination of SoonR and PCNow delivers a complete offering for millions of people that are doing business on the road every day – to have always-on access to their PC-based data and applications,” said Martin Frid-Nielsen, CEO, SoonR. “WebEx and SoonR understand that and are creating the path for users to access their information however they want.”
PCNow enables users to remotely access the complete range of applications and resources of a PC as if they were sitting at their own computer. Capabilities include:
– Simple Setup-PCNow setup takes just minutes. No need to reconfigure PC or network settings.
– Remote Desktop Control-View and control the remote computer using just a web browser.
– Copy and Paste-Copy and paste text between computers for simple content transfer.
– File Transfer-Copy files to and from the remote computer. If a document is needed, simply access the remote computer and transfer the file to a local computer.
– Printing-Print any document on the remote computer to a local printer. No need to install the application or any printer drivers on the local computer.
– Secure Connections-All session traffic is secured with 128-bit secure socket layer (SSL) encryption.
– Telephone Authentication-The password-protected online session initiates a call back to a predefined telephone number for user verification, entry of correct code on telephone keypad to authenticate the user remotely accessing the computer.
WebEx PCNow 3.0 introduces the following mobile access capabilities:
– Mobile File Access– Access and view files, photos, and documents stored on your remote computer from any mobile phone. Quickly share documents and pictures on the go. View slideshows and share comments with other users.
– Mobile Outlook Access-Access Microsoft Outlook email, calendar and contacts from a mobile phone. Create, reply, forward and delete emails and appointments, and every change is automatically updated in your computer’s Outlook display.
– Mobile Desktop Search-Use Google, Yahoo, Windows, or X1 desktop search to quickly find documents, emails, images and appointments stored on the desktop PC. Easily forward files from search results to colleagues and friends.
– Mobile Skype VoIP-Use SkypeOut to call contacts even on mobile devices that are not supported by the Skype mobile client.